Total Pageviews

Friday, April 6, 2012

No on Gun Control


Several comments were made on a Face Book page concerning my remarks pertaining to American’s 2nd Amendment Right’s to Bear Arms.  One of those commenting made some (what many would consider salient) arguments as to why, even with the 2nd Amendment Right’s having recently been upheld and re-affirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court. The arguments put forth (or perhaps opinions is a more appropriate word) were refuted in the court’s decision, and to me are more of the same old arguments always put forth by opponents of the 2nd Amendment.  By this rationalization the cliché “the bad guys will always get guns” is also appropriate.

One of the arguments put forward in the form of an analogy was there is no way one could protect themselves from a demented sociopath or demented person even if you are carrying a firearm. The example being if you are standing in line at a bank and a would be shooter enters the bank and starts shooting people before they have a chance to retrieve their gun from their purse or pocket it doesn’t matter you have a right to carry the concealed weapon. I’m sure this does happen now and will do so in the future.

Let’s reverse the analogy as I see it being a distinct and probable one. Law-abiding citizens that own or drive motor vehicles overwhelmingly adhere to the laws and regulations of the road that in the state or community where they live. They register their vehicles, get a driver’s license and purchase insurance for bodily injuries and public liability in the event of being involved in an accident. But even those laws and regulations or controls don’t or can’t keep unlicensed, uninsured and often time’s alcohol or drug impaired crazy scofflaws from ignoring those laws. They have chosen to disobey and flaunt adhering to them, and like persons who possess firearms illegally there will always be these crazy individuals who kill or maim far more people every year than those that use a gun to do so. Is this right, certainly not and when you or a loved one become a victim of theirs all the laws and controls matter not.

I am the father of a son that was murdered at age 25 in 1993 by a person that was 17 years old, and a gun was used.  This was the same year that the Brady Law was passed and signed into law by then President Clinton, which required a 15 day waiting period for background checks before you could take possession of the gun. I purchased a gun after my son’s murder because friends of his murderer were trying to intimidate witnesses that would testify at the trial by following and sometimes shooting at them. Being a veteran and familiar with firearms and what they could do I bought a gun upon the recommendation of the LAPD officers for personal protection as they advised my family and me they didn’t have the resources available to provide us with round the clock protection. I bought the gun and being a law abiding citizen I awaited the 15 day waiting period before I picked it up. I followed the gun control laws. However, my son’s murderer did not. During the course of his trial it came out through testimony that he had bought the handgun that killed my son at a donut shop in our community, A DONUT SHOP. Now you tell me if, how or what good or feel good, political/photo-op gun control laws would have prevented my son from being murdered and his murderer from getting his hands on the gun? The answer to that question is GUN CONTROL LAWS DON”T WORK AND THEY VIOLATE MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!   

If people don’t want to own a firearm, that is their right. In fact, as my son and daughter were growing up for safety reasons my wife and I chose not to have guns in our house. That was our choice, not a law! But my opinion changed the night of July 24, 1993 and now I want, expect and demand my 2nd Amendment Right to have a firearm.

Now I am 70 years old, a veteran and the sun is setting on my life and I am fearful, no angry at the direction this country is being led by our current President, his appointed Attorney General and the leaders of his party. Now I fear I need my guns, America needs their guns to protect us not only from the criminal elements in society but also our own government. The next operation “Fast and Furious” may soon be coming to a neighborhood near you. To all those that want to take away our means of protection by outlawing or severely limiting our 2nd Amendment Right to bear arms I want to echo the sentiment that the late Charleton Heston uttered while serving as the president of the National Rifle Association “from my cold dead hands.” If you want our guns and attempt to take them through unconstitutional methods like gun control Mr. President or Mr. Attorney General I for one refuse to sit idly by and become yet another victim, a statistic of violent crime like my son was. In so attempting you will ignite peaceful protests and demonstrations that will make the Tea Party and the Occupy Wall Street movements seem like minor demonstrations.       

No comments:

Post a Comment